SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-09-16, 02:11 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: building from scratch

its not the width at the yokes. the bottom knuckle on the USD forks that wont give you the correct width for the srad wheel.

also the top bearing http://shop.marksman-ind.com/99-3540...06-15086-p.asp

your best bet is either stick to all post srad or srad parts dont mix and match. if you want post srad then best to get a yoke made so you can keep the steering lock. front end swaps have been done to death on this forum and if you search you will find all the answers you need.

have you thought about how you are going to get the speedo working?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 02:33 PM   #12
L3nny
Mega Poster

Can't beleive how cheap the frame and swing arm was. If it were me though I'd use the swingarm from something else as the SV ones are the ugliest part of the bike. I'd go for something single sided.

Good luck with the build.
Old 06-09-16, 02:54 PM   #13
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Can't beleive how cheap the frame and swing arm was. If it were me though I'd use the swingarm from something else as the SV ones are the ugliest part of the bike. I'd go for something single sided.

Good luck with the build.
Thanks L3nny, agreed on this prices, that included delivery on both items too. I thought about the swingarm and prob going to get it coated in a textured matt black to so you pretty much look past it.

As for the speedo question, gonna run it off the rear wheel. Seems the simplest solution to me and apparently, the slightly larger circumference makes the speedo more accurate?
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 02:45 PM   #14
SheepShagger

Just to update, Lots of parcels have been coming over the last few days.

Frame and swingarm are at the bodyshop to be painted, Forks are at the local bike shop being split so i can get the horrible blingy gold sliders dealt with. When i stripped the heads and cylinders off the motor was mostly all good apart from the top of the exhaust flange on the front head has corroded away and the front tensioner was stuck in ( might account for the noisy front head the seller told me about). The heads are currently in the shop being stripped and the aforementioned issue welded up and machined. Bores look really good with no discernible lip at either end of the stroke so these will just be honed ready to accept new rings.

Just concentrating on getting the rolling chassis sorted before i get heavily into the mechanics and motor though.
Old 09-09-16, 06:42 PM   #15
nathcarr

Hi man
First of all good luck with getting your test done.
I do think this is a good idea and I wish I had the time to build something that is just been built for me from the ground up. So I look forward to seeing some progress pics .

I know a lot of people say the sv is an entry level bike and that there are a lot of other beastly bikes out there for less money than building one but in my honest opinion, I think the sv is great for people learning and experienced, I've been riding 8 years now and have had 10 bikes and ive just got my sv650 curvy about 3 months ago and it is by far the best bike I've had so to me putting a load of money into it and making a one for your reference sounds like something I would too and not think twice about it haha.

But I do think if you've never ridden one before maybe buy a cheap winter hack or something to see what you like and don't like about it and change it from there maybe.

I'm kinda just waffling now and could go on forever haha but good luck with the build man
Admire your dedication

Awesome
Nath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-16, 10:13 PM   #16
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger View Post
Frame and swingarm are at the bodyshop to be painted
What sort of paint is being used?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-16, 08:35 AM   #17
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
What sort of paint is being used?
It's be Spies Hecker 2Pack. The frame was in such good nick when I got it it just needs a scotch and paint. the swingarm will be etched first then textured matt black 2pack. The bodyshop who're doing it is the one I worked in for 16 years before I said goodbye to the automotive industry, so I'm pretty familiar with the quality they produce, not to mention I get a decent discount

Colour wise the frame is going a very fine metallic blue, as the panels are going an aston martin colour called Morning frost, which is metallic white with a blue fleck. not decided what to do with the wheels yet though
Old 10-09-16, 08:37 AM   #18
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathcarr View Post
Hi man
First of all good luck with getting your test done.
I do think this is a good idea and I wish I had the time to build something that is just been built for me from the ground up. So I look forward to seeing some progress pics .

I know a lot of people say the sv is an entry level bike and that there are a lot of other beastly bikes out there for less money than building one but in my honest opinion, I think the sv is great for people learning and experienced, I've been riding 8 years now and have had 10 bikes and ive just got my sv650 curvy about 3 months ago and it is by far the best bike I've had so to me putting a load of money into it and making a one for your reference sounds like something I would too and not think twice about it haha.

But I do think if you've never ridden one before maybe buy a cheap winter hack or something to see what you like and don't like about it and change it from there maybe.

I'm kinda just waffling now and could go on forever haha but good luck with the build man
Admire your dedication

Awesome
Nath

Thanks for the encouragement mate, I'll post some pics when it starts going together.
Old 10-09-16, 08:42 AM   #19
nathcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger View Post
Thanks for the encouragement mate, I'll post some pics when it starts going together.

Awesome mate really looking forward to seeing it all now because I've just read that you worked in a body shop so should be a really good build, I work in a VAG approved body shop myself as a painter and i must say morning frost is gonna be a wicked colour to do the bike if it's the one I think it is, I'm really excited about this build for you haha

Old 15-09-16, 04:18 PM   #20
SheepShagger

Ok so just to update, a few more bits have turned up, Both wheels, rear brake system forks and triples.

I mentioned that i hate the tacky gold on the GSXR USD's, so what I've done is order some very sexy, course, cross weaved carbon tubing (55mm ID 60mm OD). I've chamfered the inner edge down (roughly ATM) so it sitl nicely over the taper at the bottom of the forks, as per the image. This is rough at the moment and will require some light handed finishing. The gold bit you can see is going to be coated in the same fine metallic blue as the frame and the upper sections of the forks (between the yokes) will be a metallic black.

Here's a pic of of the early test fit, but you get the idea, Yay or nay?

Last edited by SheepShagger; 15-09-16 at 04:22 PM.