SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 17-02-09, 11:30 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Ride Out Route Help Required

Hello Thames Valley. I need a little help please...

I shall be in Oxford on Saturday and I have a hour to kill on a bike. But I'm unfamiliar with the local roads as my play ground has usually been the South West and Wales. Thus I turn to you my brothers in my hour of need.

The only criteria I have is its only a short ride 1 hour tops, preferably taking all types of road in but mostly country side would be appreciated. If anyone could help by way of suggestion or Google Map (or similar) then my thanks will be forthcoming.

Oh and if the suggested route could begin and end at Oxford BMW (big clue about what I'm up to) then that would be great. Thanks in advance.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 10:59 AM   #2
Sosha

Default Re: Ride Out Route Help Required

Oy someone wake up the oxford mafia.....
Old 18-02-09, 11:06 AM   #3
plowsie

Harsh place to test ride a bike... The A44 is a good road but don't think you get to the good bits and back within an hour.
Old 18-02-09, 01:10 PM   #4
Warthog

You have come to the right place my friend
I'll get a google maps ready...
Old 18-02-09, 01:14 PM   #5
walkaboutandy

Ok. How about this. I assume you will be riding one of those BMW off roady/touring things. ie. not a sportsbike.

A44 to Enstone. Dual and single carriageway. Good to get a feeling for the bike with some fast curves.

Turn left after the petrol station in Enstone onto the B4022 to Charlbury. Smaller road but with decent straights and a bit wiggly.

Through Charlbury then right and first left onto the B4437 towards Burford. Small road again wiggley some tight turns (good for testing the brakes) and a bit bumpy in places but I like it on my SV. Watch for tractors and potential for mud on the road.

Left onto the A361 to Burford. Larger road, pretty straight. Burford is quite pretty too.

Left onto the A40 back to Oxford brings you straight back to the dealer on the roundabout. Nice, big road. See how she cruises, overtaking, fast riding, etc.

Should take less than an hour. I have ridden all of those roads but not done that loop so thats a time guesstimate.
Old 18-02-09, 01:20 PM   #6
Warthog

Ok, I'd recommend either this: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...,0.615234&z=11

Or

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...,0.615234&z=11

Basically the two best roads around are the B4011 from Thame to Bicester and The A413 from Aylesbury to Buckingham. Try to hit those babies and have fun!
Old 18-02-09, 01:24 PM   #7
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Basically the two best roads around are the B4011 from Thame to Bicester and The A413 from Aylesbury to Buckingham. Try to hit those babies and have fun!
+1 on that, the other side of Buckingham to Whittlebury isn't a bad run either, couple of potholes.
Old 18-02-09, 01:26 PM   #8
walkaboutandy

Yeah, they are good rides but a bit far. You could do the first one and then from Thame do a right and join the A40 back to the dealer.
Old 18-02-09, 01:27 PM   #9
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
+1 on that, the other side of Buckingham to Whittlebury isn't a bad run either, couple of potholes.
I dunno, you risk getting dangerously near to Northampton that way
Old 18-02-09, 01:29 PM   #10
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I dunno, you risk getting dangerously near to Northampton that way
Mwahaha, and trust me, you don't wanna ride around here