SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-12, 03:32 PM   #1
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Alternator cover paint recommendations

I'm taking my alternator cover off tonight to repaint it and regasketize it due to some slow siding scuffs and minor oil leak. I've bought some high temp paint for engine covers. The directions just say make sure it's clean, paint it on and leave it to dry, no primer necessary. It can't be that simple though, can it? Any recommendations on pre-sanding or any other prep or techniques when painting it?

This is the stuff ... http://www.granvilleoil.com/product_...hp?prod_id=252
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 06:23 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alternator cover paint recommendations

Brush or spray?

Personally I would sand your scuffs down to smooth them out otherwise they may still show post paint. I would also key the surface, basically rough it up a bit with some sand paper, not to course though to help give the paint something to grip to. After that I would plug up the alternator rotor bolt hole to prevent the threads from being painted, but I think I would get away without plugging the cover mounting holes as there are no threads in them. Finally I would mask off the surface that joins to the crank case, masking tape or even parcel tape should do it to help prevent contamination of the surface that could cause sealing problems.

Now for the painting. I have only used spray and I think I'm getting better at it. Shake can well and spray about 12cm from the cover keeping the can moving. A light dusting is all that is needed more paint is going down then you might think. Now leave it to dry as per the instructions if there is an option of a second coat after say 2 hours or so then do that. Now leave it over night/ 24hrs. If you want to check if its dry don't touch the cover touch the cardboard that you put down to catch the overspray because if it isn't dry your finger prints have just ruined it. Once you are happy its dry, leave it overnight again otherwise if you now try and remount the paint may still be soft once a bolt goes on it particularly in this cold weather.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 06:44 PM   #3
Fallout
Mega Poster

Thanks dude. Good tips. I think providing a key is a good idea, even though it doesn't recommend it. This stuff is brush on so I'll just have to do with a super fine brush.
Old 04-12-12, 11:30 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

if they are deep scratches then i would use liquid metal to fill them then sand flat after that i would key the whole surface with 1200 wet'n'dry using water. wipe down and the paint. let paint harden then wet'n'dry again then paint again.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 12:17 AM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

This "Liquid Metal" you speak of?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 05-12-12, 12:47 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

jb weld or the like
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 01:12 AM   #7
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Heard of this JB Weld before but never seen it anywhere, where do you get yours or similar?

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 05-12-12, 09:02 AM   #8
Fallout
Mega Poster

I've used JB Weld. Got it from ebay. I think I used it to repair a car bumper and it did a pretty good job. But anyway, it's too late because I've painted it. Didn't care too much about the scratches because being at the bottom you can hardly see them, and my bike is far from showroom condition! At least the obvious scuffs are hidden.