SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-13, 10:54 PM   #11
r0ddy

Default Re: My minitwin build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb8989 View Post
Are you allowed to run gsxr forks or is that supertwin only?
minitwins have to run stock forks, supposed to keep costs down.

usually means people fit emulators and stuff as you have to keep standard fork cap. bit of an odd one really, as i reckon for the price that race tech charge for emulators by the time theyre fitted with the right springs and mod's carried out you could probably get a newer front end valved and sprung for near on the same money or summat provided you sold the standard sv bits
r0ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-13, 01:25 AM   #12
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I do like what you've done with the Valve/ Rocker Covers. Been thinking about something like that myself. What did you use to paint them?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-13, 02:11 AM   #13
rb8989

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ddy View Post
minitwins have to run stock forks, supposed to keep costs down.

usually means people fit emulators and stuff as you have to keep standard fork cap. bit of an odd one really, as i reckon for the price that race tech charge for emulators by the time theyre fitted with the right springs and mod's carried out you could probably get a newer front end valved and sprung for near on the same money or summat provided you sold the standard sv bits
Thanks, good to know, if a little annoying as for me, any excuse to put huge USD forks on a bike is a good one!
Old 26-03-13, 08:19 AM   #14
r0ddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I do like what you've done with the Valve/ Rocker Covers. Been thinking about something like that myself. What did you use to paint them?
Used some nitro mors to clean off the black vht tht was already on it then keyed it up a bit with some fine wet and dry.Then gave it a few coats of some plain old red engine enamel it's come out pretty well and the finish is pretty tough too
Old 26-03-13, 08:20 AM   #15
r0ddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb8989 View Post
Thanks, good to know, if a little annoying as for me, any excuse to put huge USD forks on a bike is a good one!
Yeah, this is the first bike I've ever owned without usd forks!
Old 27-03-13, 05:01 PM   #16
r0ddy

made a little more progress yesterday,

the head stock bearings turned up yesterday so got to work fitting them, the OE lower bearing race is pressed onto the stem, so ground a slit in it with the dremel and banged it with a chisel and it popped straight off. the new bearing was pressed on by warmng it up a bit and using the old race and a bit of unistrut as a drift.

i thought i might get away with not having to change races in the frame as they looked brand new and were for tapered rollers, but upon fitting the yokes there was a little play on the lower bearing so out they came! Luckily the frame was already notched out where the existing bearings had been fitted so after a few minutes with the heat gun, they came out easily.

fitting the new races in the frame was again a case of warming up the frame (i was going to put the races in the freezer but it was cold enough in the garage!),the old races were used to press them in to the frame.

so.. the fronts in and dry fitted, will all have to come apart again but to just give me an idea.

also cleaned about a ton of cack off the swingarm, so it can be prepped for paint. not done yet, but it had about an hour and half of my time yesterday and i needed a break. as it stands..

the hardest bit yesterday was getting the linkage and dog bones apart, one of the nuts was so knackered i ended up having to hammer a 16mm socket onto it and having a go at it with the impact wrench. honestly dont know how ive managed to go so long without one, probably one of the best £60 ive ever spent.

anyway, linkage is apart degresed, cleaned, regreased and ready to go back together. just got to grab some replacement locking nuts

will do some more tomoz , peace!
Old 27-03-13, 11:26 PM   #17
Well Slow

Curious..... What race fairings are you going to use.
Old 27-03-13, 11:52 PM   #18
r0ddy

Undecided at the moment, prob your standard fireblade seat and whatever I can find that fits an wont look like turd.
Old 13-01-14, 11:53 PM   #19
r0ddy

Hey,

It's been a while! Been busy this year starting my own business and other bits and pieces

Been slowly collecting bits and pieces to get this moving. Picked up a spare bike to scavenge parts and spares from thanks to Merlindrz.
Managed to get some time on this last weekend so this is where we are.

Engine is in the frame & plumbed in
Forks fitted - springs and emulators to go in yet
Swing arm is now black, bearings greased up and fitted.
New clip ons with grips & domino throttle- need to make up a cable for it yet
Made up a race loom and fitted it
Fitted exhaust headers
Bike now rolls and runs, carbs need setting up though

I'm gonna do some more this weekend so I'll get some photos up then

Chris
Old 14-01-14, 12:01 AM   #20
rb8989

Nice, still watching.