SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-07, 07:30 PM   #1
thedonal

Default Intermittant starting issues

Me again!

I've fitted my new back brake pedal, straightened the gear selector rod (the breakers sent me one that was too big!!) and fitted it. Adjusted the rear brake light switch so it goes on early on the pedal press rather than 'at back brake locking time'. Lovely.

But the intermittant starting thing is still occuring. Basically, the starter relay clicks and whirrs away, occasionally the starter turns over halfway or once, but no further. The bikes been starting fine for a week- it started OK this morning, but after doing the above, nowt! There's power in the battery- the lights etc work, didn't overdo starting to the point the lights started dimming etc. I've flicked the kill switch a few times. But still nothing...

I'm going to try charging the battery again, thinking I've run it down a little sorting the brake light, but surely a battery can have a bit of drain for 15-20 mins without totally knackering it's ability to start the engine? I don't think the alarm is doing it- it has it's own backup battery- as I found when I removed the main bike battery today and repeatedly got my eardrums destroyed- it must charge up of the main battery, sure, but not drain it completely?

The bike's under warranty, but as it's been dropped and collided already, I've a feeling I know what the dealer will say...

Gaaah! A few days off to sort my riding skills out and once again I've been robbed!!
Old 10-01-07, 08:28 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Possibly the clutch switch?

Underneath the clutch leaver on the handle bar is a little switch that ensures you pull the clutch in before your start the bike. This switch or the connectors can become corroded preventing the engine from starting.

Disconnect the wires from the switch and bridge them with something suitable eg a split pin etc. and see if that helps. If the bike starts then its likely to be the switch, which is straight forward to test and replace if faulty.

Other that that it could be the starter switch... disconnect and test with a multimeter. These are the first places I would look.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 10:15 PM   #3
thedonal

Cheers!

Looks like instead of a week finding out how to ride her, I'm finding out what makes my Suzi Vee tick.... Cool! 's long as I'm learning something[/i]