SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-06, 04:13 AM   #1
reb_enfilade

Default the smell of fuel when I stop?

Was wondering if anyone has any advice as I have been smelling fuel when I come to stops... I just changed the spark plugs to irridium ones and I started noticing the smell of fuel shortly after that. I dont see how new spark plugs could possibly be the cause of this?

any advice? Perhaps the smell is normal, do y'all smell a little gas when you come to stops?
Old 25-05-06, 07:08 AM   #2
Razor

Only after eating beans.

The original titel sed GAS, I'm not crazy y'know.. OK, mebbe a little bit but...
Old 25-05-06, 07:39 AM   #3
SVeeedy Gonzales

Tightened the plugs up by the recommended amount? (need to be tightened more than a re-used plug).

Installed the leads/covers on the plugs the right way round?

Anything else changed? Curvy or pointy? Had a look for any leaks? (tricky as the fuel evaporates fast). Doies the bike smell of fuel only after it's been running and not when it's been sitting for a while?

Sometimes bikes just smell of oil and fuel, especially on warmer days. mmm. Not many of them in the UK though.
Old 26-05-06, 09:38 PM   #4
sabestian

My does the same, especialy when I stop at the red light after agressive ride. I suppose it may be the fuel fumes coming from the tank vent pipe thingy. Not especialy worrying
Old 28-05-06, 09:23 AM   #5
Warren

they all do that sir.

or all the bikes ive ridden do.
Old 28-05-06, 03:52 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I get that sometimes aswell, I put it down to vapour being realsed from the tanks breather valve.

Well that and the fuel leak I had

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-06, 07:18 PM   #7
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Tightened the plugs up by the recommended amount? (need to be tightened more than a re-used plug).

Installed the leads/covers on the plugs the right way round?

Anything else changed? Curvy or pointy? Had a look for any leaks? (tricky as the fuel evaporates fast). Doies the bike smell of fuel only after it's been running and not when it's been sitting for a while?

Sometimes bikes just smell of oil and fuel, especially on warmer days. mmm. Not many of them in the UK though.
leaks generally occur near the fuel petcock at the low point of the tank, any moisture in the tank will collect there on the inside will start rusting thru, eventually turning into a small pinhole

gas leaks out and evaporates almost as fast as it's leaking untill the hole gets bigger

when it leaks though generally you will be able to start smelling it on your pants, then you know you have a leak
Old 28-05-06, 09:57 PM   #8
mysteryjimbo

Yep, my gixxer does it too.