SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-05, 06:58 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default Interesting IOM road safety doc

This is interesting - it shows how crap we (as the mainland) are and how good they are at LISTENING to public opinion and acting accordingly.

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/highways/...toberfinal.pdf
Old 14-06-05, 08:37 AM   #2
Ceri JC

Damn, labour could learn a hell of a lot from this:

'[W]e set out to consult with our people and it would be insincere if we then ignored the overwhelming view of those who expressed an opinion.'
Old 14-06-05, 11:41 AM   #3
philc2000

It does sound like they're getting ready to get rid of the unrestricted areas - there were plenty of people riding in excess of 100mph when I was there - me included.

They do seem to have it sorted though, I had a fair few speed cameras pointed at me in 30 limits - which I don't mind, but you can over take police cars in the unrestricted areas and they leave you alone unless you're doing something dumb.
Old 14-06-05, 01:41 PM   #4
Anonymous

I think the point is that they don't have civvies aiming hairdryers at you and prosecuting you for 79 mph in a 70 on a straight road and 6 miles of visibility front and back, nor fixed camera boxes doing the same on other dual carriageways and safe roads where they can maximise revenue.

They seem to realise that dangerous driving is a lot different to exceeding a speed limit. Something the idiots over here will refuse to until the cash dries up and they can target another revenue stream.
Old 14-06-05, 07:30 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

That was a very interesting read thanks. However most of the proposals they have listed appear to be bringing their rules into line with those over here on the mainland with the exception of the ‘R’ plate which sounds interesting (if anyone can explain this I would be grateful). The section highlighting what they are doing regarding road sign and traffic calming measures goes to show its not all bad, however I fear that this will become like over here good in some areas, bad in others depending on the local authorities attitudes towards road safety.

The most worrying part of the document was the conclusion, let me translate…
• “The most notable change is the creation of a new post of Traffic and Road Safety Manager within Highways Network Planning Section” – So that’s more red tape and funds being diverted from projects that are more worthwhile
• “A much greater emphasis on promoting road safety” – We all know what this means the good old “speed kills” campaign, that does not look at any of the other contributory factors that the report highlighted
• “The Department continues to believe that the introduction of a speed policy for the whole Island is required” – We can’t get blanket speed limits and cameras in yet but we will keep on trying and we will eventually with or without public support

The main positive we can take is the public do not want blanket limits and Speed Cameras, and they listened, for now…

If only they would listen to us we could get the same over here

I shall now climb down off my soap box.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-05, 07:47 PM   #6
manxsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter
That was a very interesting read thanks. However most of the proposals they have listed appear to be bringing their rules into line with those over here on the mainland with the exception of the ‘R’ plate which sounds interesting (if anyone can explain this I would be grateful).
The R plate system is when you pass your test on a bike or car you have to display R plates( just like L plates) for the first year and you are limited to a speed of 50 mph which no one does,(I kept my R plates in my bike jacket for the first year yes officer they must have fallen off) if you are caught exceeding the 50 mph or have an accident in the first year with these plates on you have retake your test. over here there is no restriction on cc after you have passed your bike test, basiclly you pass your test on a 125 and then go and buy whatever cc you want, believe you have it different on the mainland
Old 14-06-05, 09:47 PM   #7
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxsv
believe you have it different on the mainland
Yep very different, had to do 50cc @16, 125cc@17 33bhp @18 but finaly free when I was 19

Not sure if the 'R's a good idea, sounds better for car drivers. Though I think they should be restricted to Fiat Pandas anyway

Cheers for the info

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote