SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 13-04-07, 05:51 PM   #1
pheasant_hunter

Default As the bike has been written-off...

...I'm going to be taking a few bits off it. One thing I can't get off to sell will be the new (well, it's got 200miles on it) Avon Storm on the back. If anyone in the Brissle area is handy with the spanners they're welcome pop around to swap the (undamaged) read wheel & tyre for another if they want.

cheers

Jamie
Old 13-04-07, 08:59 PM   #2
Beenz

Default Re: As the bike has been written-off...

Oh cra@p, this is terrible news. I'm really sorry to hear this mate. I hope they give you a decent price for it. It was a really nice example.

Are you looking for another SV or considereing another bike? Red pointies are the sought after being the best ones.

Unfortunately the wheel n tyre will not work with my bike.
Old 13-04-07, 09:46 PM   #3
hovis

why not buy it off them & fix it?
Old 14-04-07, 12:52 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
why not buy it off them & fix it?
He's right you know...

Your bike was tidy, if its Cat D or Cat right off, buy it back and fix it up, damage didnt look that bad, unless it bust the lock stop or dinged the frame...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 02:40 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Some companies won't allow it or even if they do jack up the price to put you off, they have a disposal method for all write offs and prefer to use it, so it's not alway economic/ practical to buy it back, but never hurts to ask though.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 08:26 AM   #6
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Your bike was tidy........
...for an SV.............

The guys are all correct (except Beenz about red ones!) - see if the ins co will let you buy it back as it is/was a fine example of the type and the 'shrooms did their job. Seemed to be mainly plastics/clocks/front sub-frame that you'll need. Plenty about so worth a go.

It will be cheaper for you in the end, so keep the rear wheel for yourself until you know for sure
Old 14-04-07, 02:05 PM   #7
pheasant_hunter

I was thinking about buying it back, but I need a bike to get to work so it's the time it takes to get it back off them then get the repairs done that are the problem. They're giving me a good price so it's going to be fastest for me to get another bike.

Also, if I kept it I'm pretty sure it would turn into one of those 'projects' where I'd get another 'stop-gap' bike to get to work, then never actually finish this one! Parts will be £800-£1000 new, so I could probably make some money on it, but again its the time that's the problem.

cheers all

Jamie
Old 14-04-07, 02:17 PM   #8
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasant_hunter View Post
Parts will be £800-£1000 new
Jamie
ebay & breakers

i did not see the bike (only piccys) but i recon you could sort it out for £200-£400.

from what i have read the bike could cost you around £500-£800 to buy back?

so all in i would think you would be looking at just over a grand to get her on the road

IMO?????????
Old 14-04-07, 11:06 PM   #9
lemmings999

anyone actually know what a front subframe would set you back?

on second thoughts anyone got a straight one going spare as mine was bent
Old 15-04-07, 02:23 PM   #10
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So you know if you did buy it back I probably have some of the parts you need (plastics and headlight) for a lot less then new.

But aside from that if your good for swapping things over... how did the clutch leaver and gear leaver fair? Also I'm on the look out for a riders seat as mines ripped.

Finally do you need a standard screen to get yours off as you'll make a couple of pounds for that on eBay? If you do I've got one you can have.

Apologies if I look like a vulture

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote