SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-06, 10:09 PM   #1
medwaysv

Default broken down motorcyclists

Hi there...just a quick general concesus on what you do when you see a biker sitting at the roadside.I personally always stop..and on 70% of occasions the rider has just stoped for a fag/rest..or whatever.
ok i may not be a mechanic..but ive had a few occasions where the biker has broken down and not got a mobile on them to call the breakdown..so i always do what i can.
the reason why i asked is that i was just reading an old post about nodding to other bikers and weather you nod to moped/scooter riders (yes..i even stop for riders of these machines..lol).
just wanted to know what others amongst you think
Old 25-02-06, 10:16 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I'll try and stop for every biker i see pulled over. Even if i'm in the cage.

A few months ago i even got out the cage and helped a guy push his ped!.But then i am the friendly neighbourhood spidey i guess.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-06, 10:34 PM   #3
Ed

Stop see what I can do (not very much usually). Just before Christmas I stopped and a bloke had simply decided to take a few pics so asked me to take a few of him + bike
Old 25-02-06, 10:39 PM   #4
medwaysv

Default broken down bikes

lol....'bout a month ago on me way to work..see a bloke standing next to his bike..
in the middle of the road..stopped to see if ok..must of been a very embarrased born again biker on a 2yr old gsxr1000..this guy looked about 70..but dressed in leathers..asked if he was ok..and was politely to told to f*@k off
m,akes you wonder
Old 25-02-06, 10:47 PM   #5
medwaysv

should have asked him to take a few pics of my bike..lol
Old 26-02-06, 12:17 AM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

If I see a bike at the side that may need a little help I go for the 'Tumbs Up' first. If their ok they Tumb Up back etc. If not they'll wave me down and I'll see what I can do.

Have stoped a couple of times to help people out, the last time was a guy with a leaking tank on a CG. I see it as repayment for those that have stoped to help me (far to many times )

But I don't think I would stop for a scoter rider as quickly unless its very obvious ie a crash.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-06, 01:02 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter
If I see a bike at the side that may need a little help I go for the 'Tumbs Up' first. If their ok they Tumb Up back etc. If not they'll wave me down and I'll see what I can do.
About the same, but I'd add only if conditions allow (traffic) and indeed they want it (I've noted some of the "power rangers" would rather wait an hour for recovery for that terminal fault, than let someone fix it in 5 minutes but hey no skin off my nose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter
I see it as repayment for those that have stoped to help me.
That's the ticket, to extend that, I tend to pass on the bike stuff I know to thoughs that will in turn pass it on themselves, after all I learnt from a great many motorcylists in the passed.

also as I carry a puncture kit on the bike (and you'd be amazed how many people ride a £5k+ bike, but don't carry a £15 puncture kit ) and have mended loads of others bikes with it.

Just my bit keeping a part of sociaty sane

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-06, 01:06 AM   #8
hall13uk

i always stop, even if i have to turn around. one day it maybe me who needs help.
Old 26-02-06, 01:08 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

I always stop... I've been stuck and watched other bikes ride past, I don't want to be the guy that does that. (though in that case, it turned out I'd bumped my killswitch on, so I suppose it's just as well they didn't stop)
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-06, 11:42 AM   #10
Stig

I always do the as well. Unless it's blatantly obvious they need help. Like crashing right in front of you

Will always stop if my help is needed regardless. If I am late for work. Tuff luck on the boss.