SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-10-10, 09:26 PM   #1
rob13

Default One day, five test rides.

Seeing as the weather looked promising today, I decided to book myself in with a few test rides.

First of all I lined up the Street Triple and Triple R back to back. I'd previously tried (and reviewed) these bikes before, albeit a year apart. When I originally tested the Street, against the Versys I thought it was skittish, and I felt nervous when cornering. It certainly didnt give me any confidence in the bike

So I took it out again this morning, and still couldnt gel with it. The road surface wasnt great and a newly laid piece of tarmac had some very prominent cats eyes on it. I happened to overtake into a corner and on tipping in, I caught the edge of the cats eye and I felt the front skip across which was quite unnerving. Great engine, riding position not too bad but no confidence. They do run Bridgestone BT016s which are different to the Triple R tyres.

Anyway took this one back and then tried the R. I was blown away by it in July and so hopped on to this one and immediately felt at home. The riding position is quite a bit different to the standard and its noticeable after riding both together. It pitches you further forward but I liked that. Same great engine, this time the bike is on Pirelli Supercorsa's (again never tried before) but I just felt loads more confident in the bikes ability, and was able to take corners with ease.

Beautiful bike, the fly screen actually meant there was more wind trying to force my helmet upwards. The completely naked machine was actually quite nice to ride. A fair bit of pressure at 90 leptons but below that it was very manageable.

This is a great bike and went back to the shop with a massive grin on my face. This is a definite contender for the next bike.

I then headed to Suzuki where I wanted to test the GSXR 600 and 750 back to back to see if I could return to clip ons, and to a more extreme riding position

So I tested the 600 first and found the riding position very odd. I thought it was quick once it was wound up (fairly sedate otherwise) but didnt get a great deal of enjoyment from it.

I then tested the 750 and immediately found the obvious - more power low down. I actually thought the riding position was slightly less extreme, the bars slightly wider and higher. Maybe I had just got used to the riding position by the time I sat on this one. Whilst it was quick and was way quicker than I was willing to try, again I didnt click with it. It didnt spread a smile across my face and I just felt that even at the NSL, I didnt feel like I was going that fast and so I didnt feel like I was working the bike.

So I took it back to the dealer and we got chatting about what I was looking for.

I happened to spot a KTM 950SM in the back of the garage and before the test had quizzed the dealer on KTM's with which he didnt much good to say about them. The one in the garage was being sold by the mechanic so after having a word, he let me take it out.

What a hoot! Ok, it vibes like crazy and after being on IL4s this afternoon, it was the first thing I noticed. The seat was a bit of a plank but I just kept opening it up in 2nd and 3rd just to feel the pull of the thing. This thing is an absolute back road weapon make no mistake. Its a Versys on Steroids with maybe a few ragged edges but it was great fun. The gear lever was too high and the clutch biting point was right out but I really enjoyed hustling it over B roads. No issues with wind blast even though there was no screen on it and the front end just wanted to go light. Phenomenal handling and really light into the turns, it felt as if I was on something much much smaller.

Overall, its now between the KTBOOM and the Triple R. I think the R gives a more refined ride and looks the classier act but the KTM is just a devil of a bike. That said, in traffic it was very compliant and easy to control at low speeds and revs.
Old 07-10-10, 09:40 PM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: One day, five test rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Stuff about his test rides...
Get the Triple R! Simples (not that I am biased)

The GSXR's are funny. I have ridden a K7 600 on track and did a lot of off-track drills at CSS at the weekend on a K9 600. I just can't get on with them either! Hoping off and back onto my Daytona was waaaaay more comfy!

(I thought size-wise the 600 and 750 are the same?)
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 09:46 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
(I thought size-wise the 600 and 750 are the same?)
Yep they are supposed to be exactly the same.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 09:47 PM   #4
rob13

The bike didnt feel any bigger, but the bars did feel like they were in a less extreme position. Like I said, it might have just been that I'd already had 30-40 miles under my belt on the 600 to compare it.
Old 07-10-10, 10:06 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

It sounds like you need to ride some more bikes to be sure.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 10:22 PM   #6
speedplay

I'm lucky enough to have a triumph and a ktm

If i were to choose a naked bike, ktm for me thankyou
Old 08-10-10, 08:03 AM   #7
rob13

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
It sounds like you need to ride some more bikes to be sure.
I'm not sure ill get to test as many as you! Already tested a Shiver and 1200gs which were ok but neither as good as the Triumph or KTM. I can't honestly think of any other bikes which will offer B road thrills like those 2 will.
Old 08-10-10, 08:25 AM   #8
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
I'm not sure ill get to test as many as you! Already tested a Shiver and 1200gs which were ok but neither as good as the Triumph or KTM. I can't honestly think of any other bikes which will offer B road thrills like those 2 will.
Have you tried the 1100 hypermotard insanely fun.
Old 08-10-10, 08:34 AM   #9
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Have you tried the 1100 hypermotard insanely fun.
Oh yes indeedy...great fun
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 09:25 AM   #10
Tim in Belgium

Rob, it's good to hear that you've identified what you want the bike for and what sort of type. With a couple more test rides it sounds like you'll have almost worked out what you want. So Superduke, Hypermotard, Dorsoduro and 1100 Monster test rides coming up soon?

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 08-10-10 at 09:37 AM.